Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hello Sunshine...My first completed Pinterest Project
















I finally did it...yay me! I actually completed an arts and crafts project that I had pinned on Pinterest. It is a very amateur attempt and I have debated for days about posting it but in the end I decided to share. I made a starburst mirror out of two plates, some clothes pins, hot glue, gorilla glue and an old mirror. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the spraypaint. McGyver would be impressed even if it doesn't explode! I added a little flair by painting the outer starburst a bright turquoise and the inner burst a bright orange. The original just used the raw wood of the clothes pins. I hung this in my extremely bright laundry room which means I will have to wear shades when doing the wash. I forgot to take pictures to show my process so I will explain the best I can. I bought wooden clothes pins and a very thin dinner plate and saucer. I spray painted the pins and then, once dry, clipped them to the plates. I initially clipped four clothes pins in the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions and went around the plate clockwise filling in the spaces. I then spray painted each plate with the safety pins attached. I used hot glue and gorilla glue to adhere the two plates together. I used the hot glue to stick the mirror in place and then flipped the plate upside down on top of a wide cup and glued a picture hanger to the back with gorilla glue. I let it sit for about 18 hours, not because I am so thorough and patient, but because I had to work all day before I could hang the piece. If I could rewind I would adhere the pins to the plate with the glue gun to make them more stable. I havent had any problems with pins falling off but I have to handle the mirror very, very gently. Once hung I had to shield my eyes but right now my laundry room is the happiest place in my whole house. This is a good thing because I need something to cheer me up when I am slaving away at our piles of dirty laundry.

1 comment: