Sunday, February 3, 2013

She's (attempting to be) Crafty


My friend Allison has a part time job as my personal shopper. She found a gem of a coffee table at a local flea market and picked it up for less than $20. I wanna say it was super cheap, like $5, but I don't want to exaggerate too much. So, I loved the lines of the piece but it was rough. One day I got inspired and cleaned it up. I took soap and water to it, sanded the whole thing, spray painted the base in turquoise and applied chalkboard paint on the top. Voila! Super cool table for my son's room. A few lessons learned while doing this project. First, your hands get really cold when using soap and water on a 30 degree day. Second, do not spray paint on a hill. I am not an expert painter and I had a lot of paint runs made worse by the slope of the hill I was spraying on. The good news was that the runs were on the underside of the piece, not the legs, and not noticeable. Third and final, chalk board paint needs to be stirred much more than my puny arms are capable of. In the future I am going to have the store shake it on their shaky machine then take it home and use it immediately. I spent more time trying to stir the paint than it took to cover the table top with two coats. Oh yeah, and turquoise ivy (due to some over spray on our yard) is a great addition to any home.

No comments:

Post a Comment